BET Jazz has described as “one of the most exceptional performers to come along in a long time.” His latest CD ‘The Journey’ has been described as a sublime showcase of the light and shade that is a facet of Colionne’s distinctive musical style.
Nick was honored with the prestigious 2007 International Instrumental Artist of the Year Award at the Wave Jazz Awards.
He was nominated as Guitarist of the Year and Entertainer of the Year by the American Smooth Jazz Awards in 2010.
Nick received the Wayman Tisdale Humanitarian Award for his ongoing commitment to mentoring children and his work in the community and nationally in support of breast cancer causes.
Other honors include:
Alumus of the Year at Malcolm X College in Chicago, Artist of the Year at the 2011 Rehoboth Beach Jazz Festival and Performer of the Year for JazzTrax Jazz Festivals in 2010 and 2011.
Nick is frequently referred to as ”the best dressed man in jazz”.
The Chicago native learned to play guitar at 9 from his step-father, was a touring pro by 15 and as a teenager he honed his skills playing with R&B legends the Staples Singers, Curtis Mayfield, The Impressions, Natalie Cole and more.
Colionne has toured all over the world but his passion is mentoring children
- He is in his 18th year at the St. Laurence K-8 School in suburban Elgin, IL.
- He has also developed a special music curriculum for the Florence B. Price Elementary School for the Performing Arts in Chicago.
- Nick ́s charity work is on-going and generally quiet, in 2009 he joined forces in a national campaign to benefit breast cancer research, and in 2010 he invited his sponsor Stacy Adams to participate in Suited Up For Success, a program with the Urban League of the Carolinas to benefit men re-entering the workforce.
- Stacy Adams has endowed “his” school, St. Laurence, with a music scholarship in his name to help needy students as well as dedicated a scholarship in Nick’s name to the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Awards in Milwaukee, WI.
- It’s no surprise that Nick Colionne’s sustained chart-topping radio history and his incredible live performances, infused with his unique and soulful styling of jazz, funk, R&B and blues along with his rich vocals and engaging stage personality, have made him a force to be reckoned with.